Monday, October 9, 2017

Day 7- San Luis Potosi a Tezpotlan

This morning I had the pleasure of sleeping in until 7:30 because I was planning to stop in at the KTM dealer to pick up oil for tomorrow night's oil change.

The dealership in San Luis Potosi is 10x nicer than the one by my house.  It looks like KTM built the store, not a private owner.  It is attached to a Harley dealer next door and they share a really cool service drive.  It was fun going in and kind of being a celebrity to the guys in both shops.  Everyone wanted pictures and to ask about the ride and the bike.  I even got stickers from both shops, so now there is a harley sticker on my front fender.

Once we had situated all of the oil, and the photos were taken, I was off towards Mexico City.  The ride wasn't especially long, but the traffic was really bad.  When I got the Mexico City, the traffic was so busy and everything was so overwhelming, that I decided to look for gas and continue on.  Finding gas when I finally decided to look was an issue.  It took me a while and once I had gas, I got back on the wrong ramp and had to ride about 5.5 km north before turning around and going back south.

While I was in Mexico City looking for gas, I followed along with the other motos in town and split lanes.  I will say it is ten times scarier in Mexico City traffic than it is in San Francisco traffic.

By the time I had finally cleared Mexico City, and was on my way south, I realized that I had run out of Pesos!  I was on a toll road, praying to see a bank with an atm, but nothing came.  So as I got to the gate, I started looking everywhere for money on my bike or in my bags to get through the get and moving towards Tepoztlan.  Luckily I found some and was able to clear the gate.  Riding towards the small pueblo was really nice.   There was light rain, and lots of fog from the clouds.  The visibility got bad enough that everyone was running their hazard lights.  The mountains were green and beautiful, and the rain felt great after so many hot days.  My gear is all waterproof too, so I just enjoyed it.

I pulled into Tepoztlan around 5pm and started looking for a place to stay.  As I rode around the city with its cobblestone steps I realized that it really was a beautiful magical city.  It felt old but maintained.  There was so much life, and many more intl visitors than I thought there would be.  I found a small hotel near the city center that has its own room, heated shower, bathroom etc.  I could also park the bike in the locked courtyard.

Once the bike was parked and I was unloaded, I changed my clothes and walked around town.  There is so much to see in this pueblo, and I could see myself exploring it for a few days rather than hours.  As I explored I went to the market to try out some street tacos.  I decided on unique ones.  I had three, one was cow tongue, another was cow head, and teh other was cow brains.  They were delicious and only ran me about 45 pesos plus another 10 pesos for a 1/2 liter coke! Pretty sweet meal imo.

Oh, and I got my haircut!

After dinner I headed home and am now planning out a LONG ride to Chiapas in the morning.

Night!



No comments:

Post a Comment