Friday, October 6, 2017

Day 3- Crossing into Mexico




What a long day. Started in San Diego where I met up with a stranger named Keegan. We met online, it’s nothing serious.  Keegan, like me, quit his job to do a journey to South America.  Our plans are similar, but still different.  He will be taking 6 months for the trip, while I am taking closer to 3.  Because of this, we will only be riding Baja together, and separating sometime on Saturday.  A very strange fact, is that while we have never met, Keegan and I are 5 years apart in age, but from the same area!  We even played lacrosse for the same team/ coach, just 5 years apart! 

We made our way to Tijuana where we had about 40 mins of paper work to do before heading south towards La Paz.  Keegan's Spanish is surprisingly good for a guy that really doesn't know Spanish.  We filed our paperwork and headed out from customs.  I had to put a $400 usd deposit down saying I would be out of the country within 7 days though (the 11th), and if I am not, not only do they fine me, but they also keep my deposit!  I really will have to rip through mainland Mexico. 

The start of the ride was breathtaking until about Ensenada. The cliffs were amazing and the architecture was unique. We kept a good pace and moved along the coast. Once we got to Ensenada we jumped all over looking for atm’s and an oxxo for Keegan to buy insurance.  In the end we weren't able to find insurance either, so that will still have to happen.

After Ensenada, the road moves inland and you ride down a straight road as you pass nearly 50 identical towns. They were all flat and there was no way to tell them apart.

The ride was relaxing and we made it to hotel El cactus in good time. As an added bonus, we are staying next door to the famous mama Espinoza’s restaurant. It is a Baja 1000 famous eatery.

More updates and video to come. Thanks everyone for following along.

No comments:

Post a Comment